Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making Friends at the Indiana Dunes










We went to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on Sunday to ride the trails, and ended up having a different day than what we had thought it would be. On the way to the park we ended up behind a really nice horse trailer -- once we followed this trailer for a few miles, we knew it was going to the Dunes also. Sure enough, we both pulled in to the parking lot at the same time. It was a woman who was by herself, and she had this very handsome paint horse. We got to talking and found that we have many similar interests, and don't live too far from each other. We will be getting together to go riding this summer, and are looking forward to having a new friend. Here is her photo -- Gigi and her paint horse (I am so upset with myself that I forgot the horse's name!!) -- isn't she pretty?




Then a family was having a picnic, and of course the children wanted to pet the horses. These two little ones had such a good time petting "the Girls" and we had a great conversation with their parents. Their older brother finally came over and pet the horses, too. I wish I had gotten his photo! He is blonde also, but older than these two.




After about an hour or so of socializing, we did finally get out on the trail. It was a great ride. I felt so comfortable in the saddle -- I love rides like that. I felt in synch with Divna -- John said he felt the same way on Zora. We did not ride the entire trail, because it was getting late. We never got slower than a lope......the trees were full, the flowers were blooming, and it was just great!

3 comments:

Paint Girl said...

What a wonderful day, and meeting a new friend to ride with too! How about that!

Callie said...

Gosh, I haven't been to the Indiana Dunes since I was a kid! Sounds like a blast!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

I came over from Jan's Place. Your blog title caught my eye since I live in northern Indiana. Do you know where Warsaw is? Sounds like your trip to the Dunes was a fun day! Come on over and visit my blog. We have six horses and a mini. Right now we're training young ones and don't get to ride that much because of all the ground work we're doing but it's starting to pay off! We have one that's at a trainers and she's coming along fantastic because we did so much with her when she was little. I do have a sixteen yr. old mare that was my daughter's horse but she was never finished. Nice to meet another fellow Hoosier.