Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Horse Show - Beach Day - Big Egg

Wow! It has been a long time since I posted anything. It has been crazy lately...there must be something strange going on, because all of a sudden there are all these health problems with people I know, and there have been some passing on lately. Very bizarre that it is all happening at once -- members of my family, friends' parents, co-workers. Just really sad.





The Midwestern Saddle Club had a show on Saturday, and being members, John and I were there working. John was Ring Steward -- a job he has really grown into. I was manning the arena gate, and I made a few mistakes...but thankfully the judge was good natured and forgiving. I have learned a lot in this saddle club about what it takes to pull a horse show together. It is really a lot of work, and it is not as easy as it looks.















It was pretty hot on Saturday, and it was REALLY hot on Sunday. We do not like to ride when it is 90 degrees -- we feel it is too hard on the horses. So instead of riding on Sunday, we went to the beach. We live about 10 miles from Lake Michigan, and Michigan City has a fabulous waterfront park. I took a photo of our "symbol" of the southern tip of the lake -- the lighthouse at Michigan Ciy. We have not been there in a couple of years. It is interesting how your life goes thru stages -- I spent most of my pre-horse life going to the beach. I even rented an apartment about 1/2 block from Lake Michigan when I was single. But now I spend more time in barns. It was strange going to the beach again. I even crammed my 53 year old and 20 pound overweight body into a swimsuit (frightening). We even went in the water!! If you know anything about the Great Lakes, they are fresh water which equals cold. During a hot summer, the lake will warm up to tolerable by August, but this year we have not exactly had a warm summer, let alone hot. So the water was, let's say, refreshing. But we went in, and it did the trick!! Cooled us off immediately....


I posted last month about our chicken who had a health problem, most likely due to laying large eggs. Well, we got an egg last week that was the most enormous chicken egg I have ever seen. I hope this photo does it justice. You wouldn't believe this thing.....

Here is hoping for cooler temps and a chance to ride again soon!!!

4 comments:

Desert Rose said...

I would say that is the mother of all EGGS!!!
Missed you!

Callie said...

'd hate to be the chcken that layed that thing! Ouch!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

poor chicken.. that had to hurt!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

oh my..all I can say is ..poor chicken!