Monday, December 27, 2010

Horse Rescue, of Sorts

Today (well, yesterday technically, since I am writing this after midnight) was an unbelievable day.

We woke to our answering machine. It was our friend and fellow equestrian, Dolly, in a panic "I am taking care of D and K's horses while they are out of town. I got here this morning to feed them, and one of them is down. I can't get him up! He won't eat, and he is laying in the snow and shaking!"

We immediately got up, called her back, went out and threw down some hay for our horses and goats. I threw some Banamine, a syringe and some mineral oil in a bag, grabbed the two thick blankets we use for our horses, and we took off.

When we got there, Patty (another neighbor and friend) was there. The poor horse was laying out in the pasture, and he was just shaking. Dolly and Patty had put blankets on him, but he was very, very cold. I immediately put a dose of Banamine in his mouth, and noticed his gums and tongue were a grey-ish color -- not good.

The horse has a history of founder. So was it founder, or was it colic, or something else??? A call was placed to the horse's owner who said they would be home the next day, do not call the Vet!!

After a few minutes, John started trying to get him up. The Banamine had kicked in, so with some pulling and pushing, we got him up. We finally got him into his stall, and started working on him. Another friend and fellow equestrian, Dee, showed up. Patty's husband Greg also came over. Dolly's husband Tom came as soon as he got off work. We had a team of people on this horse. He had absolutely no body heat of his own. We were all rubbing him and brushing him, giving him syring after syring of mineral oil. We found a torpedo heater that we brought to the stall, we found a tarp to close off the stall. we had blankets on him. We listened to his gut and heard some slight gurgling sounds, but not a lot of activity there.

Once we got him warmed up, we started walking him. He did release a little gas, and he did poop a little (not much -- not enough to make us feel better about the situation). We brought out a heated bucket, and he drank a little.

Dolly and Tom wanted to be able to keep a close eye on him, so we took him and his buddy down to their place. They have a very nice indoor faciltiy, with a round pen. We put the two horses in there, and took turns walking the sick one, continued to give him syringe afte syringe of mineral oil. He did keep drinking water, but never really dumped a good load -- just a little bit at a time.

The last update we got late tonight was that he did make a dump, but does not yet seem normal. I am very worried abut this horse. I am afraid he will not make it....I am really scared for this horse. I cannot sleep.


Mrs Mom said...


Prayers sent for the horse- sure hope he is OK. Thank GOD there was such a great team of people to be there to help him out. Y'all are amazing. Please let us know how things go when you can.

And kick the owner in the behiney for not allowing a vet call!!!!

Jeni said...

I second that "HOLYFREAKINGCRAP" from MrsMom !!!

Please let us know as soon as you can how things are. You and your friends are amazing people

If it was me who was incharge of caring for the animals I'd say "screw the owner, and call the vet" !!! Seriously do they not know this horse could die ???

John and Regina Zdravich said...

We are all SO UPSET with the owners...that poor horse was in such distress. I just don't understand -- makes me sick. I will post an update on his condition as soon as I have it. I called Dolly this morning but just got her answering machine...

oregonsunshine said...

I third Mrs. Mom. That poor boy was so lucky and so blessed you were around to make him a bit more comfortable his last day.